REVIEW QUESTIONS ON GEMARA AND RASHI
prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Jerusalem
Previous daf Sotah 5
(a) Rava Amar Ze'iri cites the Pasuk in Yirmiyah "Shim'u ve'Ha'azinu Al
Tegavhu Leiv" as the warning for conceit.
According to Rav Nachman bar
Yitzchak, it is a combination of two Pesukim in the Chumash; one of them is
"ve'Ram Levavecha ve'Shachachta".
What is the other?
(b) Which principle of Rebbi Avin Amar Ila'a governs this warning?
(c) Rav Avira cites a Pasuk in Iyov, sometimes in the name of Rav Ami,
sometimes in the name of Rav Asi (on the previous Amud he quoted Rebbi Ami
or Rebbi Asi. Presumably one of them is a printer's error). What does he
learn from ...
- ... "Rumu Me'at"?
- ... "ve'Einenu"?
- ... "ve'Humchu *ke'Chol* Yechpatzun"?
(a) What do we learn from the conclusion of the previous Pasuk: "u'che'Rosh
(b) Rav Huna and Rav Chisda argue over whether ...
1. ... this refers to the top of the corn or the entire corn.
(c) What does Rav Yosef advise us to learn from Hashem?
How does Rav
Asi explain the expression "Rosh ha'Shibo'les", according to the latter
2. ... the Pasuk in Yeshayah "ve'es Daka u'Shefal Ru'ach" means that Hashem
raises the humble person to be with Him, or that he lowers Himself to be
with the humble person.
From where do we prove the latter opinion to be
the correct one?
(a) What does Rebbi Elazar learn from ...
(b) And, based on the Pasuk in Tehilim "(Ki Ram Hashem ve'Shafal Yir'eh)
ve'Gavo'ah mi'Merchak Yeyeida", what does he say the Shechinah does when it
comes across a conceited person?
- ... the two Pesukim "ve'Ramei ha'Komah" (Yeshayah) and "ve'Ashereihem Tegadei'un" (Va'eschanan)?
- ... the Pasuk in Yeshayah "Hakitzu ve'Ranenu Shecheinei Afar"?
(c) What distinction does Rav Avira (or Rebbi Elazar) draw between a tall
man and Hashem? What is meant by a tall man?
(d) What does Rav Chisda (or Mar Ukva) quote Hashem as saying with regard to
Himself and the conceited person?
(a) Others associate the Pasuk "Meloshni ba'Seiser Re'eihu, Oso Atzmis,
Gevah Einayim u'Rechav Leivav" (which Rav Chisda or Mar Ukva just derived
their previous statement) in connection with a different sin.
(b) What does Rebbi Alexandri Darshen from the Pasuk in Yeshayah
"ve'ha'Resha'im ka'Yam Nigrash"?
(c) Since when does a person contain only Revi'is of blood?
(a) What did ...
(b) Rava says that a Talmid-Chacham who possesses pride is in Shamta
(Cherem), and one who does not is in Shamta too.
- ... Rav Chiya bar Ashi Amar Rav say about one sixty-fourth of pride?
- ... Rav Huna B'rei de'Rav Yehoshua add regarding 'a Sa'sa de'Shibalta'?
What does he mean by
(c) Rav Nachman bar Yitzchak maintains that one is better of without any
pride at all. Why is that? How does Shlomoh Hamelech describe someone who
(a) What does Chizkiyah advise someone who wants his prayers to be answered?
(b) What does ...
(c) Some give the acronym of "Basar" as 'Bushah, Seruchah ve'Rimah' (shame,
smelly and worms). Others take out 'Seruchah' because it begins with a
'Samech' and with not a 'Shin'.
- ... Rebbi Zeira extrapolate from the fact that the Torah writes in Tazri'a "u'Basar ki Yih'yeh Bo be'Oro Shechin ve'Nirpa"? What might the Torah otherwise have written?
- ... Rebbi Yochanan extrapolate from the name "Adam"? What is its acronym?
What do they replace it with?
(a) What does Rav Ashi Darshen from the Pasuk in Tazri'a "ve'la'Se'eis
Answers to questions
(b) What do we prove from the Pasuk ...
- ... in Yeshayah "ve'al Kol he'Harim ha'Ramim ve'al Kol ha'Gevahos ha'Nisa'os"?
- ... in Shmuel (regarding the house of Eli ha'Kohen) "Safcheini Na el Achas ha'Kehunos Le'echol Pas-Lechem"?
(a) What does Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi extrapolate from the Pasuk in Tehilim
(b) And what does he learn from the Pasuk there "ve'Sam Derech Ar'enu
- ... "Zivchei Elokim Ru'ach Nishbarah"?
- ... "Leiv Nishbar ve'Nidkeh Elokim Lo Sivzeh"?
(c) How does he reconcile the fact that the Pasuk writes "ve'Sam" and not
(a) The Tana of our Mishnah describing Kinuy, writes 'Amar Lah Al Tedabri im
Ish P'loni Zeh'.
What is then the corollary between the Reisha ('Keitzad
Mekane Lah') and the Reisha de'Seifa ('Amar Lah Bifnei Shenayim')?
(b) What is the problem with this from the Seifa de'Seifa of the Mishnah
(Dibrah Imo, Adayin Muteres le'Beiso ... ')?
(c) In light of the Seifa de'Seifa then, how does Abaye then explain the
(d) Which cases then ...
- ... are not considered Kinuy?
- ... are considered Kinuy?
(a) The Tana concludes the Mishnah 've'Im Meis, Choletzes'.
What does Rav
Yosef learn from the Pasuk in Ki Seitzei "ve'Yatz'ah mi'Beiso, ve'Haysah
(b) How does he know that the Pasuk is referring to a Sotah?
(c) Then why does she require even Chalitzah?
(a) What reason does Rav Yosef give to explain why she should not require
Yibum, according to the second Lashon?
Answers to questions
(b) Then on what grounds does the Torah permit her to marry somebody else?