POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Zevachim 54
ZEVACHIM 54 (4 Av) - Dedicated by Mr. and Mrs. D. Kornfeld in honor of the
Yahrzeit of Rivkah bas Elimelech Shmuel (Zelikovitz, nee Kornfeld), of
Hungary/Haifa/Yerushalayim. Aunt Relly was a strong woman, who survived the
holocaust and remained filled with Chesed and Ahavas Torah.
1) WAS THERE A "YESOD" IN THE SOUTH AND EAST?
(a) Question (Mishnah): The Kohen was Molek Olas ha'Of (on
the Sovev, in the southeast corner) opposite the Oref, he
would fully cut both Simanim, he pressed the bird against
the Mizbe'ach to squeeze out the blood.
1. Will we say that Melikah was done in the air?!
(Rashi - i.e., above the bare floor - we know that
even of he bends down to Molek below his feet, i.e.
below the Sovev, it is Kosher - if there was no
Yesod there, the blood would fall to the floor! R.
Tam - Is Melikah Kosher in the airspace of Yehudah?!
Only Binyamin's portion has Kedushas Mizbe'ach!)
(b) Answer (Rav Nachman bar Yitzchak): They stipulated,
Yehudah received the land, the airspace belonged to
Binyamin (Rashi - and a platform was built there to
collect the blood).
(c) Question: What does it mean 'There was no Yesod there'?
(d) Answer #1 (Rav): The Yesod physically did not extend to
(e) Answer #2 (Levi): (It physically extended to the corner,
but) Halachically it was not considered Yesod (to put
1. Rav holds that the Targum of (Ber. 49:27) "Binyamin
Ze'ev Yitrof..." says that the Mizbe'ach will be
built in Binyamin's portion (Yehudah had no share in
(f) Question (against Levi - Mishnah): The Yesod went across
the entire northern and western sides; it Achal
(occupied) one Amah on the southern and eastern sides.
2. Levi holds that the Targum says that the Mikdash
will be built in his portion, i.e. the place
Huchchar to receive blood (Yehudah had a share in
the Mizbe'ach, but not to receive blood).
(g) Answer: 'Achal' means, it (is the part that) received
blood (but there was a physical Yesod around all sides).
(h) Question (against Rav - Mishnah): The Yesod was 32 Amos
by 32 Amos.
(i) Answer: The Mishnah gives the dimensions of the northern
and western sides.
(j) Question (against Rav - Beraisa): The ramp (which came up
to the south side) covered the Amah of the Yesod (the
Mizbe'ach was recessed from it), and (likewise regarding)
the Amah of the Sovev.
(k) Answer: The ramp covered the Amah where the Yesod would
have been (if it spanned the south side).
(l) Question (against Rav - Levi - Beraisa): To build the
Mizbe'ach, we bring a frame 32 Amos square and one Amah
tall; and whole, wet stones (big and small), plaster,
molten lead and pitch; mix them and pour it into the
frame (this forms the Yesod);
1. We then bring a frame 30 Amos square (centered above
the Yesod) and five Amos tall, and do the same;
2. The next frame is 28 Amos square and three Amos
tall, we do the same;
3. The last frame is one cubic Amah (for each Keren).
4. Suggestion: Perhaps after making a square Yesod, we
cut off (all but one Amah of) the southern and
2) FINDING THE SITE OF THE "BEIS HA'MIKDASH"
5. Rejection: The Torah requires "Avanim Shelemos"!
(m) Answer: Before pouring in the mixture, we insert beams to
fill up the extra Amah on the two sides, reducing the
size of the mold.
(n) Support: Rav Kahana must say so regarding the Keranos!
1. (Rav Kahana): The stones on the Keranos were hollow
- "U'mal'u ka'Mizrak k'Zaviyos Mizbe'ach";
2. Question: The Torah requires "Avanim Shelemos"!
3. Answer: Before pouring in the mixture, we insert
something inside, and later remove it.
(a) Question (Rava): "V'David...u'Shmuel va'Yeshvu...b'Noyos
ba'Ramah" - what is the connection of Noyos to Ramah?
3) "SHALMEI TZIBUR" AND "ASHAMOS"
(b) Answer: David and Shmuel were in Ramah, engaging in the
Noy (beauty) of the world (the Beis ha'Mikdash);
1. David and Shmuel: "V'Kamta v'Alisa" - this teaches
that the Beis ha'Mikdash is the highest place in
2. Eretz Yisrael is the highest of all lands.
3. They did not know the highest place in Eretz
Yisrael; they looked through Sefer Yehoshua, and
noticed that regarding the portion of Binyamin it
always says "V'Alah ha'Gevul", regarding the other
Shevatim it sometimes says that the border goes up,
down or around;
i. They concluded that the highest place is in
4. They thought to build it in Ein Eitam, the highest
place - they decided that it should be slightly
lower, on account of "U'Vein Keseifav Shachen"
(between the shoulders, just below the highest part
5. Alternatively, they had a tradition that the Great
Sanhedrin must sit in (Lishkas ha'Gazis in the Beis
ha'Mikdash,) in the portion of Yehudah, whereas the
Shechinah (i.e. the Azarah) is in Binyamin's
i. If they would build it in Ein Eitam, this would
be too far from the portion of Yehudah -
therefore, it is better to build it slightly
lower (closer to Yehudah);
6. Do'eg became jealous of David because of this - "Ki
Kin'as Beischa Achalasni".
ii. They concluded, this is why it says "U'Vein
7. "Zechor Hash-m l'David Es Kol Unoso. Asher
Nishba...Im Eten Shenas l'Einai...Ad Emtza Makom
8. "Shema'anuha v'Efrasah" - this is (Sefer) Yehoshua,
who was from Efrayim;
9. 'Metzanuha bi'Sde Ya'ar" - this is the portion of
Binyamin - "Binyamin Ze'ev Toref".
(a) (Mishnah): Zivchei Shalmei Tzibur and Ashamos...
1. Asham is brought for swearing falsely (in order to
steal), Me'ilah, relations with a Shifchah Charufah,
a Nazir who became Tamei, Taharah of a Metzora, and
for doubtful transgression of an Isur Kares.
(b) Shalmei Tzibur and Ashamos are slaughtered in Tzafon,
Kabalah must be in a Kli Shares in Tzafon;
1. There are two Zerikos of blood which are
2. Male Kohanim eat the meat within the hangings,
cooked in any way, that day and until half the