POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Rabbi Ephraim Becker
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafYoma 39
YOMA 36-40 have anonymously sponsored towards a REFU'AH SHELEMAH to Shmuel
Yakov ben Ayala Hinda, Ilana Golda bas Chana and Klarees Marcia bas Mammie
*****PEREK TARAF BEKALFI*****
1) MISHNAH: THE PROCEDURE FOR DRAWING THE LOTS
(a) The Kohen Gadol grabbed the two Goralos out of the Kalfi
while the Segan stood to his right and the Rosh Beis Av to
2) DETAILS OF THE LOTS
(b) Whichever hand was holding the Goral LaShem, the
corresponding dignitary would call upon the Kohen Gadol to
raise that hand.
(c) He would place the two Goralos on the Seirim and proclaim
(d) (R. Yishmael) He need only say LaShem.
(e) Those hearing responded with Baruch Shem...
(a) Question: Why did he have to grab them?
3) THE GLORIOUS ERA OF SHIMON HATZADIK
(b) Answer: So that he would not have time to differentiate.
(c) (Rava) The Kalfi was made of wood, not Kadosh, and could
only accommodate two hands.
(d) Question: Why not make it Kadosh?!
(e) Answer: We do not make a Keli Shares of wood.
(f) Question: Then make it of gold or silver?!
(g) Answer: The Torah is solicitous of Jewish funds.
(h) Our Mishnah disputes the opinion of R. Yehudah in the
Beraisa that the lots were drawn by the right hands of the
Kohen Gadol and the Segan.
1. If the Kohen Gadol drew LaShem, the Segan would call
upon him to raise his hand.
(i) Question: What is the basis for their dispute?
2. If the Segan drew LaShem, the Rosh Beis Av would call
upon the Kohen Gadol to proclaim the Kedushah.
3. Question: Why doesn't the Segan do this?
4. Answer: So as not to distress the Kohen Gadol.
(j) Answer: Whether the right hand of the Segan is better than
the left hand of the Kohen Gadol.
(k) Question: Who is the Tana who argues with R. Yehudah?
(l) Answer: It is R. Chanina as cited in the Beraisa (who
maintains that the Segan has no role unless he is needed to
substitute for the Kohen Gadol).
(a) During his 40 year reign as Kohen Gadol...
1. The Goral LaShem always came up in his right hand...
2. The scarlet thread always turned white...
3. The western lamp was always lit...
4. No additional wood was needed to maintain the
5. There was Berachah in the Omer, Shetei HaLechem and the
(i) It satisfied wondrously.
(ii) When it was cursed, the modest Kohanim would
withdraw... unlike Chamtzan who grabbed.
4) FORTY YEARS PRIOR TO THE CHURBAN...
(b) He knew the year of his death, as he reported that his
"escort" had changed.
(1) He was called this until his death.
(2) The word derives from two Pesukim.
(c) When he died the Kohanim refrained from blessing the People
with the Shem HaMeforash.
(a) The Goral LaShem did not come up in the right hand.
5) TEN UTTERANCES OF THE SHEM HAMEFORASH
(b) The thread did not turn white.
(c) The western lamp did not remain lit.
(d) The doors of the Heichal opened on their own.
1. R. Yochanan b. Zakai rebuked them.
2. How long will you frighten yourselves with the
prediction of the Navi...
3. Why is it called Levanon...
4. Why is it called Ya'ar... (as we have been taught
regarding the golden fruit tress planted by Shlomo,
which will ultimately be restored).
(a) There were a total of 10 utterances of the Name:
6) THE SPECIAL KEDUSHAH OF YERICHO AND THE KETORES
1. Three by each of the two Viduim.
(b) The Name was heard in Yericho.
2. Three by the Sair HaMishtaleach.
3. One by the Goralos.
(a) The hinges of the Heichal doors could be heard at eight
7) THE REQUIREMENT OF LIFTING AND PLACING THE GORALOS
(b) The goats in Yericho were affected by the aroma of the
(c) The women of Yericho did not need perfume on its account.
(Even the Kalos of Yerushalayim did not need additional
(d) Other reports of the Ketores come from Arei Michmar and from
(a) (R. Yanai) Taking the Goralos out of the Kalfi is critical,
but placing them upon the animals is not Me'akev.
(b) (R. Yochanan) Even taking them out is not Me'akev.
(c) First Lashon:
1. There is no dispute, within the opinion of R. Yehudah
(that anything done in Bigdei Lavan BaChutz is not
Me'akev), that the Goralos are not Me'akev,
(d) Second Lashon:
2. Their dispute is only within the opinion of R.
Nechemyah (that such activity *is* Me'akev) as to
whether the Goral is (R. Yanai) or is not (R. Yochanan)
1. There is no dispute within the opinion of R. Nechemyah,
that the Goral is Me'akev.
2. Their dispute is only within the opinion of R. Yehudah
as to whether the Goral is singled out (through the
repetition of Alah in the Pasuk) to be Me'akev.