POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Rabbi Ephraim Becker
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafYoma 37
YOMA 36-40 have anonymously sponsored towards a REFU'AH SHELEMAH to Shmuel
Yakov ben Ayala Hinda, Ilana Golda bas Chana and Klarees Marcia bas Mammie
1) THE VIDUI
(a) Question: What is the source for the plea "Ana?"
2) THE SOURCES FOR THE RESPONSE: BARUCH SHEM
(b) Answer: Gezeirah Shavah from the plea of Moshe.
(c) Question: What is the source for including the Shem?
(d) Answer: Gezeirah Shavah from Eglah Arufah.
(e) Question (Abaye): Why isn't Eglah Arufah informed by the
plea of Moshe (to include Ana)?
1. Answer: Perhaps it is!
(f) Answer: Good question.
2. Question: But the Mishnah cites the Vidui by Eglah
Arufah and it does *not* include Ana?
(a) (Rebbi) The source for their response is Ki Shem Ekrah...
3) MISHNAH: THE LOTTERY OVER THE SEIRIM
(b) (Chananyah the nephew of R. Yehoshua) Zecher Tzadik Livracha
(a) The lottery was held in the East of the Azarah, North of the
4) THE LOCATION OF THE MIZBEACH
(b) The Segan stood to his right; the Rosh Beis Av to his left.
(c) The Goralos (lots) were in a Kalfi (box).
(d) The Goralos were made by Yehoshua b. Gamla, who is praised
for his contribution, along with:
1. Ben Katin who made 12 spouts for the Kiyor as well as
the device for lowering the Kiyor into the pit.
2. Munbaz who made the handles out of gold.
3. Hileni, his mother, who made a gold Menorah and a gold
tablet for the Parashas Sotah.
4. Nikanor who made the doors which were miraculously
(a) We may infer from the Mishnah that the Mizbeach was located
centrally, not to the North.
5) PROPER ETIQUETTE FOR WALKING WITH ONE'S RAV
(b) This follows the opinion of R. Eliezer b. Yakov (that the
Mizbeach was entirely in the South, leaving the entire North
(c) Question: But the Reisha follows R. Elazar b.R. Shimon (that
the Mizbeach was centered such that the Korban was
slaughtered Bein Ulam LaMizbeach)!?
(d) Answer: The Mishnah is all R. Elazar b. Yakov, and Bein Ulam
LaMizbeach means at the closest spot to there.
(a) (R. Yehudah) One who walks to the right of his Rav is a
6) THE SOURCE FOR THE LOTS
(b) Questions: The Talmid *does* walk to the right!?
1. Our Mishnah speaks of the Segan to the right of the
(c) Answer: We mean to (the right in order to) conceal his Rav
2. The Beraisa teaches that the greater Talmid walks to
the right of his Rav when they are en route?
3. The three angels greeted Avraham, again with Gavriel to
the right of Michael?
(d) Question: But we learned that one who walks behind his Rav
(e) Answer: It means to conceal him from the sides (slightly
behind him to his sides).
(a) The Beraisa understands the Pasuk "Goralos" that they may be
made of any material.
7) BEN KATIN AND THE TWELVE SPOUTS
1. One might think that two Goralos were placed on each
animal, thus the Pasuk clarifies, "One Goral..."
(b) Question: But that is obvious?
2. Perhaps we would put both Goralos on this animal and
then both on that, thus the Pasuk clarifies, "One
3. The word Goralos, then, teaches that the two stubs must
be made of the same material.
(c) Answer: We might have thought that the Goralos, like the
Tzitz bearing the Name, must be of gold.
1. Goral, Goral comes to include.
2. It includes the poorest and the finest woods.
(a) Question: Why did he make this change?
8) BEN KATIN AND THE MUCHANI
(b) Answer: So that all 12 of his brethren doing the Avodah
would be able to wash at once, not as previously, when there
were only two spigots.
(c) In the morning the Kohanim would wash from the upper spigot,
and in the afternoon from the lower one.
(a) Question: What is Muchani?
9) MUNBAZ AND THE GOLDEN HANDLES
(b) Answer (Abaye): A wheel for immersing the Kiyor.
(a) Question: Why didn't he make the entire vessel out of gold?
(b) Answer (Abaye): We are speaking of the handles of the
10) HILENI AND THE GOLDEN MENORAH
(c) Question: But the Beraisa lists the handles of the vessels
and the handles of the knives *separately*?!
(d) Answer: We are speaking of the handles of the cutting tools.
(a) When the sun rose this Menorah would sparkle and all present
would know to recite the Shema at the proper time.
11) HILENI AND THE GOLDEN TABLET
(b) Question: But we learned that the members of the Mishmar
said Shema early, and the Anshei Ma'amad said it late?!
(c) Answer: It refers to other bystanders.
(a) Question: May we infer from here that it is permitted to
write a section of the Torah as a separate scroll (for a
(b) Answer: No, it only contained the initials of the words.
(c) Question: But the Beraisa teaches that the Kohen wrote just
what was written on the tablet.
(d) Answer: It was written alternating words and initials.