POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Yevamos 79
YEVAMOS 79, 80 - The first two of four Dafim dedicated in honor of
Dr. Charles and Rosalind Neustein, whose retirement to Florida
allows them to spend even more time engaging in Torah study!
1) APPEASING THE GIVONIM
(a) David reasoned - Shaul died 13 years ago, it is abnormal
to eulogize him now; but we can appease the Givonim.
1. David: "What can we do for you, to atone?"
(b) Question: "The king took ... Armon and Mefiboshes and 5
sons of Michal" - why these?
2. Givonim: "We don't want silver or gold ... give us 7
of Shaul's children, and we will hang them."
3. David tried appeasing them; they refused.
4. David: There are 3 signs of Yisrael: they are
merciful, have a sense of shame, and bestow Chesed.
i. They are merciful - "He will give you mercy,
and make you merciful".
5. Whoever has these 3 signs is fitting to cling to
ii. They have a sense of shame - "In order that
fear of Hash-m should be on your faces".
iii. They bestow Chesed - "That he will command his
(c) Answer (Rav Huna): He passed them in front of the Aron;
whom the Aron absorbed would be killed; whom the Aron
expelled, would live.
1. Objection (Rav Chana Bar Ketina): "The king had
mercy on Mefiboshes Ben Yehonason"!
(d) Objection: But it says, "Fathers will not die on account
2. Answer: He did not pass him in front of the Aron.
3. Objection: Did he show favoritism?
4. Answer: Rather, he passed him in front of the Aron;
the Aron absorbed him, and David requested mercy,
and the Aron expelled him.
5. Objection: Still, this is favoritism!
6. Answer: Rather, he prayed that the Aron should not
(e) Answer (R. Chiya Bar Aba): It is better to uproot a
letter of the Torah than to publicly desecrate Hash-m's
(f) Question: "From the beginning of the harvest ... until
the rain (the bodies were hanging)" - but "You may not
let him hang overnight"!
(g) Answer (R. Yochanan): It is better to uproot a letter of
the Torah in order to publicly sanctify Hash-m's name.
1. Passersby: Who are these people hanging?
(h) Immediately, there were 150,000 new converts - "Shlomo
had 70,000 workers carrying on the shoulder, and 80,000
quarrying in the mountain.
2. Answer: Sons of kings.
3. Passersby: What did they do?
4. Answer: They harmed converts.
5. Passersby: There is no nation as fit to cling to as
this! If sons of kings are punished thusly - all the
more so, commoners! If for harming converts thusly -
for harming Yisrael, all the more so!
1. Question: Perhaps these workers were Yisraelim!
(i) Rather, we learn from "And Shlomo counted ... 150,000 ...
2. Rejection: This cannot be - "Shlomo did not give a
slave from Yisrael".
3. Question: Maybe they were just hired workers?
(j) Question: David did not decree on the Nesinim - Moshe did
- "From the woodchopper...."!
(k) Answer: Moshe only decreed on his generation; David
decreed for all generations.
(l) Question: Still, Yehoshua decreed on them - "Yehoshua
made them woodchoppers and water drawers for the
congregation and the Altar."
(m) Answer: Yehoshua only decreed for when there is a
Mikdash; David decreed for even when there is no Mikdash.
2) YIBUM AND CHALITZA OF A SERIS
1. In Rebbi's day, they wanted to permit the Nesinim.
2. Rebbi: We can permit our share - but who will permit
the share of the Altar?
3. This argues on R. Chiya Bar Aba.
i. R. Chiya Bar Aba: The share of the congregation
is always forbidden; the share of the Altar is
only forbidden when there is a Mikdash.
(a) (Mishnah - R. Yehoshua): I heard that a Seris does
Chalitzah, and one does Chalitzah to his widow; and a
Seris does not do Chalitzah, and one does not do
Chalitzah to his widow, and I cannot explain these;
1. R. Akiva: I will explain! A Seris Adam (caused by
man) does Chalitzah, and one does Chalitzah to his
widow, because he was once able to have children; a
Seris Chamah (from birth) does not do Chalitzah, and
one does not do Chalitzah to his widow, since he was
(b) A Seris does not do Chalitzah nor Yibum, nor does an
2. R. Eliezer: No - rather, A Seris Chamah does
Chalitzah, and one does Chalitzah to his widow,
because he can be cured; a Seris Adam does not do
Chalitzah, and one does not do Chalitzah to his
widow, since he cannot be cured.
3. R. Yehudah Ben Besira: Ben Megoses was a Seris Adam
in Yerushalayim; his widow did Yibum, fulfilling the
words of R. Akiva.
(c) A Seris that did Chalitzah, he did not disqualify her; if
he had relations with her, he disqualified her (since he
is her brother's wife, without the Mitzvah of Yibum).
(d) Similarly, an Ailonis that did Chalitzah is not
disqualified; if she had relations with the Yavam, she is
(e) (Gemara) Question: We know that R. Akiva says that
Chaivei Lavin are as Chaivei Krisus, and Chaivei Krisus
do not do Chalitzah or Yibum!
(f) Answer #1 (R. Ami): The case is, she is a convert; R.
Akiva holds as R. Yosi, who says that converts are not
considered as part of the congregation of Hash-m (and are
permitted to a Seris).
1. Question: If so, they should be allowed to do Yibum!
(g) Question (Rabah - Beraisa): Reuven is a Petzu'a Daka,
Crus Shafchah, Seris Adam, or is too old to have
children: he does Chalitzah or Yibum.
2. Answer: Indeed, they can! Since R. Yehoshua
mentioned Chalitzah, R. Akiva also spoke of
i. We can prove this from the Mishnah - R. Yehudah
Ben Besira testified about a Seris Adam whose
widow did Yibum, to fulfill the words of R.
1. If Reuven died leaving a widow, and a brother gave a
Ma'amar, Get or did Chalitzah, it takes effect; if a
brother did Yibum, he acquires her;
(h) Answer #2 (Rabah): Rather, the case is, he became a
Petzu'a Daka after she fell to Yibum.
2. If Reuven's brother died leaving a widow, and Reuven
gave a Ma'amar, Get or did Chalitzah, it takes
effect; if he did Yibum, he acquires her, but may
not stay married - "A Petzu'a Daka or Crus Shafchah
will not enter the congregation of Hash-m".
3. We see, the case is that the widow is a Bas Yisrael!
(i) Question (Abaye): The prohibition of Petzu'a Daka should
push off the Mitzvah of Yibum!
1. (Mishnah - R. Gamliel): (A woman fell to Yibum to a
man married mi'Derabanan to her sister, a minor). If
the sister does Mi'un, she may do Yibum; if not, she
waits until her sister grows up, and she is exempt,
because she is the sister of the Yavam's wife.
(j) Answer (Rav Yosef): The Tana holds, according to R. Akiva
that Mamzerim come only from Chaivei Lavin of Sher (kin),
not from other Chaivei Lavin.
2. We see, the prohibition of a wife's sister pushes
off the Mitzvah of Yibum - we should say the same by
(k) Question: It says, "To establish a name for his brother",
and such men cannot do this!
(l) Counter-question (Rava): If you say, it is not enough
that he was once able to have children - Yibum never
applies, since the husband always became a Seris Chamah
right before he dies!
1. Rava's reasoning poses a difficulty on R. Eliezer!
(m) Question: What is a Seris Chamah?
2. Answer: No - a man does not become a Seris Chamah
before death, he is just weak.
(n) Answer (R. Yitzchak Bar Yosef): One who was a Seris from