|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 8] "YA'AROF KA'MATAR LIKCHI, TIZAL KA'TAL IMRASI..." - "My doctrine shall drop as the rain, my speech shall distil as the dew, as the small rain upon the tender herb, and as the showers upon the grass." (Devarim 32:2)
2) [line 15] ARFEIHU - (a) kill him (lit. strike him with a blow that severs the neck) (RASHI); (b) turn your back on him and leave him, like the rain that ceases in the summer months (MAHARSHA)
3) [line 17] SAM CHAYIM - a potion of life
5) [line 24] CHALASH LIBA'I - I feel weak
7) [line 31] "BARZEL B'VARZEL YACHAD..." - "Iron sharpens iron; [so a man sharpens another.]" (Mishlei 27:17)
9) [line 36] "CHEREV EL HA'BADIM V'NO'ALU..." - "A sword is upon the liars; and they shall become fools" (Yirmeyahu 50:36) - The Gemara interprets the word "ha'Badim," as "those who are [learning Torah] by themselves."
10) [line 36] SONEIHEM SHEL TALMIDEI CHACHAMIM - (lit. those who hate Talmidei Chachamim) a euphemism for the Talmidei Chachamim
11) [line 36] BAD B'VAD - individually (Bad = an individual stalk, a twig)
13) [line 44] "LIKRAS TZAMEI HESAYU MAYIM..." - "Bring water to the one who is thirsty..." (Yeshayah 21:14)
14) [line 51] SHIVRU - purchase, acquire
16) [line 53] MANEI D'FACHRA - earthenware utensils
21) [line 1] IY HAVU SANU - (a) if they would have been ugly (RASHI); (b) if they would have hated [their handsome looks] (TOSFOS)
22) [line 1] TEFEI HAVU GEMIREI - they would be more learned
24) [line 11] "RATZISA, HASH-M, ARTZECHA..." - "HaSh-m, you have been favorable to your land; you have brought back the captives of [the descendants of] Jacob. You have forgiven the iniquity of your people, you have pardoned all their sin, Selah." (Tehilim 85:2-3)
25) [line 13] DIHAVAS - a place
27a) [line 16] "TZIYAH GAM CHOM YIGZELU MEIMEI SHELEG, SHE'OL CHATA'U." -
"Drought and heat consume the snow waters; so does Gehinom consume those who
have sinned." (Iyov 24:19) - The Gemara interprets this verse as, "If
drought and heat consume the snow waters, know that it is because Benei
Yisrael have sinned to the extent that they are deserving of Gehinom =
28) [line 22] "RU'ACH TZAFON..." - "The north wind brings rain; and a backbiting tongue looks angry." (Mishlei 25:23) - The Gemara interprets this verse as, "[HaSh-m sends] the north wind to cancel the rain because of [people who speak] Lashon ha'Ra and Rechilus."
29) [line 24] "VA'YIMAN'U REVIVIM..." - "Therefore the showers have been withheld, and there has been no late rain; yet you have a harlot's forehead, [you refuse to be ashamed.]" (Yirmeyahu 3:3)
30) [line 26] NICHSHAL B'AVEIRAH - transgresses a sin of immorality
32) [line 29] "...V'OZ PANAV YESHUNE." - "...and the boldness of his face is changed." (Koheles 8:1)
33) [line 30] AL TIKRI YESHUNE, ELA YISANEI - do not read Yeshune (is changed), but rather Yisnei (he shall be hated). Rashi points out that the word "v'Oz" is spelled without a Vav, which is reminiscent of "Az Panim," a brazen person.
34) [line 31] "BA'ATZALTAYIM YIMACH HA'MEKAREH..." - "By slothfulness the beams collapse; [and through idleness of the hands the house leaks.]" (Koheles 10:18) - The Gemara interprets this verse as, "Because of the laziness of Benei Yisrael with regard to Torah-learning, HaSh-m, kev'Yachol, becomes as if he is poor, unable to provide rainfall."
35) [line 33] "V'IM MACH HU ME'ERKECHA..." - "But if he is poorer than your estimation, [then he shall present himself before the Kohen, and the Kohen shall value him; according to the ability of him who vowed shall the Kohen value him.]" (Vayikra 27:8)
36) [line 33] "HA'MEKAREH VA'MAYIM ALIYOSAV..." - "Who lays the beams of His chambers in the waters; [Who makes the clouds His chariot; Who walks upon the wings of the wind." (Tehilim 104:3)
37) [line 34] "V'ATAH LO RA'U OR..." - "And now men see not the bright light which is in the clouds; but the wind passes, and cleanses them." (Iyov 37:21). The Gemara translates this allegorically as "wind passes and blows away the rainclouds because Benei Yisrael do not learn the Torah, which is a bright light."
38) [line 37] SHE'RAKI'A NA'ASEH BEHORIN BEHORIN - when the sky is covered with blotches [of rain clouds]
39) [line 38] "AL KAPAYIM KISAH OR..." - "He covers His hands with the lightning..." (Iyov 36:32) - The Gemara interprets this verse as, "Because of the sin of the hands (theft), HaSh-m takes away (lit. covers up) the rain." See next entry.
40) [line 40] "...YAFITZ ANAN ORO." - "[Also He burdens the thick cloud with an overflow;] the cloud scatters lightning." (Iyov 37:11) - The Gemara learns that "Or" in this verse and in the previous entry means rain, and not lightning.
41) [line 41] "...VA'YETZAV ALEHA B'MAFGI'A." - "...and commands it where it shall strike." (Iyov 36:32) - The Gemara interprets this verse as, "And He commands it (the rain) to fall when the people pray for it."
42) [line 43] "IM KEHAH HA'BARZEL..." - "If the iron is blunt, and one does not whet the edge..." (Koheles 10:10) - This is interpreted allegorically as, "If the sky is as blunt as iron (and similarly is ineffectual at its task), it is because of the sin of the generation..."
43) [line 43] SHE'KIHAH K'VARZEL - that is [ineffectual,] like iron that is blunt, (and does not let any rain fall)
44) [line 45] "...V'CHAYALIM YEGABER..." - "...he must apply more strength..." (Koheles 10:10) - The Gemara interprets this to mean, "They must become very strong in prayer..."