|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 3] "[CHAG HA'SUKOS TA'ASEH LECHA SHIV'AS YAMIM;] B'ASPECHA MI'GORNECHA UMI'YIKVECHA" - "[You shall make the holiday of Sukos a seven- day period;] when you gather in from your threshing floor and from your winepress." (Devarim 16:13) - The Gemara learns from this verse that the Sechach should be made with the residue that is leftover from the threshing floor and the winepress, i.e. things that do not receive Tum'ah and that have grown from the ground.
2) [line 6] YAYIN KARUSH HA'BA MI'SENIR - congealed wine that comes from Mount Hermon
3) [line 7] IGULEI DEVEILAH - rounded cakes of pressed figs
7) [line 16] ZERADIN - (O.F. tudeles - stems, stalks) young tender reeds or
9) [line 20] GEZEIRAS OTZAR - a Rabbinical decree enacted to prevent a situation where a person uses his storehouse as a Sukah. (The roof of a permanent storehouse is invalid for Sechach even if it is made of wood, since it was made as part of a permanent structure and not as a temporary, shading covering.) - RASHI DH Chada. Alternatively (according to the Gemara's conclusion), a decree enacted to prevent a person from using as Sechach stored bundles of wood or straw which were left out on the roof to dry. Since these bundles were not placed there to provide shade, they are not valid Sechach - RASHI DH v'haTorah.
10a) [line 4] SACHECHAH B'CHITZIN ZECHARIM - (O.F. fleches - shafts of
arrows) if a person covers his Sukah, using as Sechach, shafts of arrows
that fit into hollow-stemmed arrowheads
11) [line 7] MAHU D'SEIMA, BEIS KIBUL HE'ASUY L'MAL'OS, LO SHMEI KIBUL -
perhaps you would say that a receptacle that is made to be filled
permanently is not termed a receptacle
12a) [line 10] ANITZEI PISHTAN - (O.F. ristes - bundles of combed flax; O.F.
cerens - a flax comb) bundles of flax that have been pounded and carded
(freed of hard substances) with a flax comb
13) [line 11] V'HUSHNEI PISHTAN, EINI YODE'A MAHU - and I do not know the Halachic ruling with regard to "Hushnei Pishtan"( these are the words of Rebbi Yochanan)
14) [line 12] V'HUSHNEI PISHTAN, EINI YODE'A - and I do not know what "Hushnei Pishtan" are (these are the words of Rabah bar bar Chanah)
15) [line 12] MAH NAFSHACH - how would you like to explain these words ("Hushnei Pishtan")?
16a) [line 13] DAYIK V'LO NAFITZ - [flax that has been] pounded but not
carded (freed of hard substances) with a flax comb
17a) [line 15] SHUSHEI (O.F. falje) fern, a kind of plant with delicate
feather-like leaves and no flowers