POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
Prepared by Rabbi P. Feldman
of Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Sotah 49
SOTAH 49 (Siyum!) - sponsored by Jeff Ram (Atlanta/Jerusalem), an avid
Dafyomi learner and a loyal supporter of Kollel Iyun Hadaf. May he and his
wife always have much Nachas from their wonderful children and
1) THE POWER OF TORAH AND PRAYER
2) THE DECLINE AFTER THE CHURBAN
i. The children argue: if you will punish our
parents in the future - why did you punish them
in their lifetimes?!
(b) (R. Ilai bar Yevarchiyah): If not for David's prayer, all
of Yisrael would sell fat (a poor man's profession) -
"Hash-m, give (the poor) wealth (and through this,
(c) (R. Ilai bar Yevarchiyah): If not Chabakuk's prayer,
Chachamim would be so poor that 2 Chachamim would wrap
themselves in 1 cloak to learn - "Hash-m, I heard what
you told me, and I fear; Hash-m, your deeds, execute them
b'Kerev Shanim (in the coming years)" - this may be read
"b'Karov Shnayim (2 close together).
(d) (R. Ilai bar Yevarchiyah): 2 Chachamim that walk on the
path and do not converse in Torah are fitting to be
burned - "They were walking and speaking, and a chariot
of fire" - if not for speaking in Torah, they would be
fitting to be burned.
(e) (R. Ilai bar Yevarchiyah): 2 Chachamim that live in the
same city and do not consult each other, one will die and
the other will be exiled - "To flee there, a murderer ...
1. Knowledge is Torah - "My nation appeared to be
(f) (R. Yehudah, brei d'R. Chiya): Any Chacham that engages
in Torah amidst financial hardship, his prayer is heard -
"The nation will sit in Tziyon, in Yerushalayim they will
not cry, Hash-m will be gracious to the sound of your
cry, as soon as he hears, he will answer you";
1. Right after this it says, "Hash-m will give you
sparse bread and water".
(g) (R. Avahu): He merits to be satiated by the Divine
Presence - "Your eyes will see your teacher".
(h) (Rav Acha bar Chanina): The curtain is not locked in
front of him - "Your teacher will not separate from you".
(a) (Mishnah): R. Yehoshua testified that after the Temple
was destroyed ...
3) DECREES AND DECLINES FROM THE CHURBAN ONWARDS
(b) (Rava): Every day's curse is worse than the previous
day's - "In the morning you will say, 'If only it were
evening!' In the evening you will say, 'If only it were
(c) Question: Which morning is longed for?
1. Suggestion: If the coming morning - he does not know
if it will be better than the current evening!
(d) Answer: Rather, he longs for the previous morning, for it
was not as bad as the current evening is.
(e) Question: If the curse keeps increasing this way - what
supports the world?
(f) Answer: The Kedushah said in the prayer "And a redeemer
will come to Tziyon", and "Blessed be His great name..."
said in Kaddish after learning.
1. "The land became very dark as the darkness of death,
without orders" - if there would be orders of
(Kedushos), light would emerge from the darkness.
(g) (Mishnah): Dew does not descend for a blessing, and
fruits lost their taste ...
1. (Beraisa - R. Shimon ben Elazar): When Taharah
ceased, fruits lost their taste and smell; when
Ma'aseros ceased, the fat of grain was lost.
(h) Rav Huna found a fat, fragrant date. He wrapped it in his
turban. His son Rabah was able to smell it.
1. Rav Huna was happy that his son was Tahor (and
therefore could smell it); he gave him the date.
(i) Rav Acha bar Yakov raised his daughter's son, Yakov. When
Yakov grew up, Rav Acha bar Yakov asked him to get him
water to drink.
2. Aba, the son of Rabah bar Rav Huna came; Rabah took
the date and gave it to his son.
3. Rav Huna: (to Rabah): My son, you delighted me
(because you are Tahor) and blunted my teeth (by
showing me that you love your son more than you love
i. This is as people say, 'A father mercies his
son; the son mercies his own son'.
1. Yakov: I am not your son (so I need not honor you)!
2. This is as people say, 'Even though you raised me,
I am not your son'.
(a) (Mishnah): During the siege of Aspanyainus, Chachamim
decreed against grooms' crowns and Irus;
1. During the siege of Titus, they decreed against
brides' crowns and that a person should not teach
his son Yevanis;
(b) After R. Meir died, there was no one that could give
2. During the last siege, they decreed that brides
should not be carried in bridal canopies in the
(c) After ben Azai died, there was no one that learned
(d) After ben Zoma died, there was no one that could expound;
(e) After R. Akiva died, the honor of the Torah ceased;
(f) After R. Chanina ben Dosa died, there was no one of great
(g) After R. Yosi Katanta died, there were no saintly people;
1. He was called 'Katanta' because he was the
smallest of the saintly.
(h) After R. Yishmael ben Pabi died, the radiance of Kehunah
(i) After Rebbi died, humility and fear of sin ceased.
(j) (Gemara - Beraisa) (Rashi and others include this as part
of the Mishnah): R. Pinchas ben Ya'ir says, after the
Temple was destroyed, the pious and people of lineage
were ashamed; people of deeds were lowered, and the
forceful people and talebearers overpowered;
1. No one teaches Yisrael, no one requests mercy for
us, no one asks for our peace - we have no one to
rely on, except our Father in Heaven!
(k) R. Eliezer says, after the Temple was destroyed,
Chachamim started to descend to be as teachers of
children; teachers of children as heads of the synagogue;
heads of the synagogue as commoners; and commoners keep
4) RESTRICTIONS ON WEDDINGS
1. No one teaches Yisrael, no one requests mercy for us
- we have no one to rely on, except our Father in
(l) Before Moshi'ach comes, brazenness will be rampant, the
most honored people will be crooked (Rashi's text in
Sanhedrin), (even though) the vine will yield grapes,
wine will be expensive, most of the world will be ruled
by heretics, and there is no rebuke;
1. The house of learning will be used for illicit
relations; the Galil will be destroyed, the Gavlan
will be desolate, those that lived on the border
will roam from city to city without rest;
(m) The face (leaders) of the generation is as the face of a
dog; a son is not ashamed of his father.
2. The Chachmah of Chachamim will spoil, those that
fear sin will be despised, truth will be hidden,
youths will embarrass elders, elders will stand in
front of the small;
3. A son will disgrace his father, a daughter will
stand up against her mother, a daughter-in-law
against her mother-in-law; a man's enemies are his
1. We have no one to rely on, except our Father in
(a) (Rav): Only a groom's crown of rock-salt colored with
sulfur was forbidden, but not of myrtle and roses;
5) THE DECLINE AFTER THE CHURBAN
1. (Shmuel): Even of myrtle and roses was forbidden,
but not of reeds and sedge;
(b) (Mishnah): And Irus (was forbidden).
2. (Levi): Even of reeds and sedge was forbidden.
i. Levi's version of the Mishnah explicitly
forbids even of reeds and sedge.
(c) Question: What is Irus?
(d) Answer (R. Elazar): A bell with 1 clapper.
1. Rabah bar Rav Huna made a drum for his son; his
father came and broke it, for it could be confused
with a bell with 1 clapper.
(e) (Mishnah): During the siege of Titus, they decreed
against brides' crowns ...
2. He suggested that he make a drum on the mouth of a
vessel, which would not be confused.
(f) Question: What are brides' crowns?
(g) Answer (Rabah bar Rav Huna): A gold headplate with a
drawing of the city on it.
1. Support (Beraisa): A bride's crown that is forbidden
is a gold headplate with a drawing of the city on
(h) (Beraisa): They even decreed on a groom's canopy.
2. It is permitted to make a silk hat.
(i) Question: What is this?
(j) Answer: A scarlet cloak set up as a dome.
1. A groom's canopy is a scarlet cloak set up as a
dome; but one may make a dome of wooden rings, and
hang whatever he wants from it.
(a) (Mishnah): And that a person should not teach his son
On to Gitin
(b) (Beraisa): When the Chashmonai kings fought each other,
Hurkenus was outside Yerushalayim, Aristoblus was inside.
Every day, they sent coins over the wall in exchange for
animals fit for the daily sacrifices.
(c) There was an elder that knew Chachmas Yevanis; in it,
he told the besiegers that they would not prevail as long
as the ones inside are serving in the Temple.
1. The next day, the besiegers sent a swine in place of
lambs. When it was lifted halfway up the wall, it
dug its claw into the wall; Eretz Yisrael shook 400
(d) Question: But Rebbi said, in Eretz Yisrael, one should
not speak Sorsi - he should speak Hebrew or Yevanis!
2. At that time, Chachamim put a curse on anyone that
will raise pigs or teach his son Chachmas Yevanis.
3. That year, they had to bring the Omer from the roofs
of huts, and the 2 loaves (of Shavuos) from the
valley of Ain Socher.
1. R. Yosi said, in Bavel, one should not speak Arami -
he should speak Hebrew or Parsi!
(e) Answer: The decree was against Chachmas Yevanis - this is
not regular Yevanis.
(f) Question: Is Chachmas Yevanis really forbidden?!
1. Half of the 1000 children of R. Gamliel's house
learned Torah; the other half learned Chachmas
(g) Answer: It was permitted to R. Gamliel's house, for they
were close to the king.
1. (Beraisa): One who cuts his hair as the Nochrim
transgresses 'going in the ways of the Emori';
(h) (Mishnah): During the last siege, they decreed that
brides should not go in bridal canopies in the city ...
2. This was permitted to R. Gamliel's house, for they
were close to the king.
3. Being close to the king also was a reason to be
allowed to learn Chachmas Yevanis.
1. Chachamim permitted this, for modesty.
(i) (Mishnah): After R. Yochanan ben Zakai died, Chachmah
(j) (Beraisa): After R. Eliezer died, the Sefer Torah was
1. After R. Yehoshua died, counsel ceased;
(k) (Mishnah): After Rebbi died, humility and fear of sin
2. After R. Akiva died, the arms of the Torah ceased
and the wells of Chachmah were stopped up;
3. After R. Elazar ben Azaryah died, the crown of
i. This is because the crown of Chachamim is their
4. After R. Chanina ben Dosa died, there was no one of
5. After R. Yosi Katanta died, there were no saintly
i. He was called 'Katanta' because he was the
smallest of the saintly.
6. After ben Azai died, there was no one that learned
7. After ben Zoma died, there was no one that could
8. After R. Shimon ben Gamliel died, locusts came and
9. After Rebbi died, troubles multiplied.
1. (Rav Yosef): One should not teach that humility
ceased - I am around!
2. (Rav Nachman): One should not teach that fear of sin
ceased - I am around!