BACKGROUND ON THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafShabbos 86
We recommend using the textual changes suggested by the Bach, Rav B. Rensburg
and the parenthetical marginal notes of the Vilna Shas. This section is
devoted to any *OTHER* changes that we feel ought to be made in Gemara,
Rashi or Tosfos.)
 Gemara 86b [line 22]:
The words "Keivan *d'Achlin* Shekatzim"
should be "Keivan *d'Achlei* Shekatzim" (as is found below in the Sugya)
 Gilyon ha'Shas 86b #1:
The words "Pasuk b'Yeshayah *Daf 48a*"
should be "Pasuk b'Yeshayah *(48:16)*"
1) [line 1] K'TAVLA MERU'BA'AS - like a square board
*2*) [line 1] HA LAV HACHI, ASUR - that is, not only the Arugah itself must
be square, but the pattern of the seedlings in the Arugah must also be
square and not round.
3) [line 4] POLETES SHICHVAS ZERA
A woman who expels Shichvas Zera within a certain amount of time after
having marital relations becomes a Rishon l'Tum'ah, like a Ba'al Keri. The
Tana'im argue as to how many Onos (12 hour periods of night or day) this
time period constitutes. The Shichvas Zera that is expelled after this time
period is not Teme'ah and does not make the woman Teme'ah. The Rambam rules
that Shichvas Zera is not Metamei after *three Onos*. (RAMBAM Hilchos Avos
4) [line 5] "NECHONIM" - "prepared"
5) [line 9] LASHON SHEL ZEHORIS - a strip of crimson wool
6) [line 9] SA'IR HA'MISHTALE'ACH
On Yom ha'Kipurim, a Goral (lot) is performed by the Kohen Gadol to choose
between two identical goats. One is offered as a Korban and its blood is
sprinkled in the Kodesh ha'Kodashim (Sa'ir l'HaSh-m); the other is
dispatched (Mishtale'ach) to Azazel (a hard rocky cliff), from which it is
pushed off to its death. A strip of crimson wool was tied between its horns
before it was led to Azazel. The person who takes the goat to Azazel
becomes Tamei and is required to immerse his body and clothes in a Mikvah.
7) [line 10] "IM YIHEYU ..." - "if your sins will be as red as scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow; though they be as red as crimson, they
shall be as white as wool" (Yeshayahu 1:18) - HaSh-m promises to cleanse
the sins of Benei Yisrael. On Yom ha'Kipurim, the Day of Atonement, this
was demonstrated by means of an open miracle when a red piece of wool
turned white at the conclusion of the day's service.
8) [line 11] SICHAH - rubbing with oil
9) [line 22] ONOS - 12 hour periods of night or day
10) [line 27] B'CHAMISHI AVID PERISHAH - he separated them from their wives
11) [line 31] B'HASHKAMAH - early in the morning
12) [line 39] AFEL - dark
13) [line 1] TEVULEI YOM
A Tevul Yom is a person who has immersed in a Mikvah, and must wait for
nightfall in order to complete his Taharah. His level of Tumah is minimal;
he is considered only a Sheni l'Tum'ah such that if he touches Terumah, it
becomes Pasul and must be burned.
14) [line 6] BEINEI SHIMSHEI - Friday night.
15) [line 18] SERUCHAH - spoiled
16) [line 21] DE'IGI B'MITZVOS - they are apprehensive about Mitzvos
17) [line 21] CHAVIL GUFAIHU - their bodies are heated
*18*) [line 26] D'IS LAH PEROZDOR - when a child emerges from its mother's
womb, it is protected by her thighs which form a passageway for the newborn
19) [line 37] B'ITZUMO SHEL YOM - that very day
20) [line 38] BI'KEVI'A D'YARCHA - when the new month started
21) [line 39] B'CHAD B'SHABA - on Sunday
22) [line 41] CHULSHA D'URCHA - weariness of the journey