|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1a) [line 4] KACH KESIV BA'TORAH? - Is this what is written in the Torah
2) [line 9] NIDON BA'ZIKAH HA'RISHONAH SHE'BA'AH ALAV - he is sentenced to the [punishment for the] first obligation that came upon him (which he transgressed)
3) [line 10] ISGUREI ISGUR?! - Should he receive a reward [of a more lenient punishment for having transgressed two sins]?!
4) [line 14] HAI GAVRA KETILA HU - he is considered a dead man [who cannot be subject to other punishments]
5) [line 18] "V'HOLID BEN PARITZ SHOFECH DAM, [V'ASAH ACH ME'ACHAD ME'ELEH. V'HU ES KOL ELEH LO ASAH, KI GAM] EL HE'HARIM ACHAL V'ES ESHES RE'EHU TIMEI. [ANI V'EVYON HONAH, GEZEILOS GAZAL, CHAVOL LO YASHIV] V'EL HA'GILULIM NASA ENAV [TO'EVAH ASAH. BA'NESHECH NASAN V'SARBIS LAKACH VA'CHAI? LO YICHYEH. ES KOL HA'TO'EVOS HA'ELAH ASAH,] MOS YUMAS, DAMAV, BO YIHEYEH." - "If he has fathered a violent son, a shedder of blood, [who has done the like of any one of these things to his brother. He has not done any of these [good deeds (mentioned in verses 6-9)]; rather, he has even eaten [of idolatrous sacrifices] on the mountains, and has defiled his neighbor's wife. [He has oppressed the poor and needy, has committed robbery, has not returned collateral,] and has raised his eyes to the idols, [has committed abominations. He has given out money for interest, and has taken increase; shall he then live? He shall not live; he has done all these abominations;] he shall surely die; his blood shall be upon him." (Yechezkel 18:10-13)
6) [line 29] DILMA TORAH KA MEHADER? - Perhaps he is repeating the [entire] Torah?
7) [line 32] "EL HE'HARIM LO ACHAL, V'EINAV LO NASA EL GILULEI BEIS YISRAEL, V'ES ESHES RE'EHU LO TIMEI, V'EL ISHAH NIDAH LO (KIREV) [YIKRAV]." - "He did not eat [of idolatrous sacrifices] on the mountains, and did not raise his eyes to the idols of the house of Yisrael; neither did he defile his neighbor's wife nor come near to a menstruous woman." (Yechezkel 18:6)
8) [line 34] SHE'LO HALACH B'KOMAH ZEKUFAH - he did not walk with upright stature (haughtily)
9) [line 35] SHE'LO YARAD L'UMNUS CHAVEIRO - he did not encroach on his fellow's livelihood
10) [line 37] "TZADIK HU, CHAYOH YICHYEH" - "he is righteous; he shall surely live" (Yechezkel 18:9)
11) [line 41] "AL TITAM'U V'CHOL ELEH..." - "Do not defile yourselves with all of these [abominations]..." (Vayikra 18:24)
12) [last line] MODEH REBBI YOSI B'ISUR MOSIF (ISUR CHAL AL ISUR / EIN ISUR
CHAL AL ISUR: ISUR MOSIF)
1. Isur b'Vas Achas - Two Isurim may take effect at the same instant to prohibit the same object.(b) According to Rebbi Shimon, an object that is already prohibited can *never* become prohibited by another Isur, even if the second Isur is Kolel, Mosif or Chamur.
13) [line 44] NIDON B'ZIKAH HA'RISHONAH HA'BA'AH ALAV - he is sentenced to the [punishment for the] first obligation that came upon him (which he transgressed)
14) [last line] ISUR MOSIF
15) [line 2] MI SHE'LAKAH V'SHANAH - a person who received lashes two times for the same sin for which there is a Chiyuv Kares [and then committed the same sin a third time]
16) [line 3] KIPAH - a detention facility (lit. [a structure in the shape of] a dome) that is only as high as the sinner, where he is fed barley and water, which causes his death when his stomach splits (see Insights to Sanhedrin 79:2)
17) [line 3] U'MA'ACHILIN OSO SE'ORIN - and they feed him barley [after first sustaining him with a minimum amount of bread and water so that his stomach will shrink]
18) [line 3] AD SHE'KEREISO MISBAKA'AS - until his stomach splits
20a) [line 7] GAVRA BAR KETALA HU - he is a person who is worthy of the
death penalty [of Kares]
21) [line 8] KEIVAN D'KA MEVATER LAH NAFSHEI - since he forgoes his own life 22) [line 11] V'LO MEVATER KULEI HAI - and he does not forgo his life as much [as the one who repeats the same sin over and over]
23) [line 13] HA AMAR AD TELAS ZIMNEI LO HAVYA CHAZAKAH - [it cannot follow
the opinion of Raban Shimon ben Gamliel,] since he is of the opinion that a
Chazakah is established after three times.
24) [line 14] AVEIROS MACHZIKOS - transgressing negative commandments can create a Chazakah (a legal presumption based upon the performance of a certain act three times; we do not have to wait until he is punished with Malkos three times to establish the Chazakah)
25) [line 17] PELUGSA D'REBBI V'RABAN SHIMON BEN GAMLIEL - (source: Yevamos 64a-b, Kesuvos 43b)
26a) [line 19] HISRU VO V'SHASAK (HASRA'AH: MATIR ATZMO L'MALKUS)
b) [line 19] HISRU VO V'HIRKIN ROSHO - they warned him and he nodded his head
27) [line 22] KIPAH TZERICHAH HASRA'AH KA'MIFLIGEI - they argue as to whether a warning is necessary for a person to put into Kipah
28) [line 23] "TEMOSES RASHA RA'AH" - "Evil shall slay the wicked" (Tehilim 34:22)
29) [line 24] "KI GAM LO YEDA HA'ADAM ES ITO KA'DAGIM SHE'NE'ECHAZIM BI'METZODAH RA'AH" - "For man also does not know his time, like the fishes that are caught in an evil trap" (Koheles 9:12)
30) [line 25] CHAKAH - (O.F. aim) a fish hook (it is an evil trap because the fish is in pain while it is on the hook. Similarly, Kipah, which causes death in a more drawn-out fashion, is a painful punishment when compared to Misas Beis Din.)
31) [line 26] LECHEM TZAR U'MAYIM LACHATZ - sparse bread and scant water (based upon Yeshayah 30:20)
32) [line 27] EDUS MEYUCHEDES - "singular testimony," where the two witnesses see the act from different vantage points and do not see each other
33) [line 28] KEGON D'ISKACHUS BA'BEDIKOS V'LO ISKACHUS BA'CHAKIROS
34) [line 29] MA'ASEH U'VADAK BEN ZAKAI B'UKTZEI TE'ENIM - there was a case where the judge Ben Zakai asked the witnesses about the fig tree under which a murder took place. He questioned whether the figs were light or dark-colored, whether their stems were thick or thin, etc.
35) [line 32] AD SHE'YUKTAN MA'AYANO - until his bowels shrink
37) [line 33] HA'MEKALEL B'KOSEM - one who uses a spell or incantation to curse HaSh-m or to curse his fellow man
38) [line 34] ARAMIS - a Nochris
40) [line 34] KOHEN SHE'SHIMESH B'TUM'AH - a Kohen who willingly performs the Divine Service while he is Tamei
41) [line 35] PIRCHEI KEHUNAH - young Kohanim
43) [line 36] ZAR SHE'SHIMESH BA'MIKDASH - a non-Kohen who performed the Divine Service in the environs of the Beis ha'Mikdash
44) [line 37] KELI SHARES - a utensil used in the Divine Service
46) [line 38] "V'LO YAVO'U LIR'OS K'VALA ES HA'KODESH VA'MESU." - "And they (the Leviyim) will then not come and see the holy articles as they are being packed, and they will not die." (Bamidbar 4:20) - The words that describes the holy articles being packed, "k'Vala Es ha'Kodesh," literally mean "when they were hidden" or "swallowed up," As such, this verse hints at one who steals the holy articles.
47a) [last line] KONO - his Maker