BACKGROUND ON THE DAILY DAF
brought to you by Kollel Iyun Hadaf of Har Nof
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous dafNidah 42
We recommend using the textual changes suggested by the Bach, Rav B. Rensburg
and the parenthetical marginal notes of the Vilna Shas. This section is
devoted to any *OTHER* changes that we feel ought to be made in Gemara,
Rashi or Tosfos.)
 Rashi 42a DH Amar Lei:
The words "Shapir *Amar* Lach:"
should be "Shapir *Amri* Lach:"
 Rashi 42b DH Ifrik:
"Lo Metamya Ad Hashta she'Yetze"
The word "Hashta" appears extra
1) [line 3] MISHAPECHES - a woman who turns over (a) after Tevialah
(b) after Tashmish
2) [line 9] POLETES SHICHVAS ZERA - a woman who expels Shichvas Zera
*3*) [line 24] A'BA'ALEI KERYIN B'SINAI - This is referring to a woman who
expels Shichvas Zera (and not to a man who emits Shichvas Zera) Tosfos DH
mid'Achmir. The Gemara is suggesting that at the time of Matan Torah the
entire camp of Benei Yisroel had a Din of Machaneh Levi'ah, where Ba'alei
Kiryan (and Poltos Shichvas Zera) were prohibited from entering.
4) [line 30] KULCHU B'ROKA CHADA TAFISU - you all spew out the same spit,
i.e. relate the same incorrect ruling
5) [line 35] LECHAYEI - they are good
*6*) [line 39] B'YRIDAH TEME'AH - That is, because the blood does not
become Tahor through her Tevilah; therefore, it remains an Av ha'Tum'ah,
and makes her a Rishon l'Tumah when it touches her. (According to this, the
reason the Beraisa says "Yoledes" is that the only woman who can be Toveles
immediately after seeing blood is a Yoledes. A Zavah Ketanah must wait a
day to make sure she sees no blood and a Nida is Toveles at night after her
seven days of Nidah. If a Nidah saw blood that night, she only is only
Toveles the following day. The only case where blood before a Tevilah can
cause Tum'as Erev is a Yoledes.
7) [line 40] TUM'AH BELU'AH
Tum'ah Belu'ah refers to an object that is Tamei which is inside a living
creature. While it is there, the object is neither Metamei by Maga
(touching), nor by Masa (carrying). After it comes out, it will again be
Metamei. This is unlike Tum'as Beis ha'Setarim. Tum'as Beis
ha'Setarim refers to an object that is Tamei comes that contact with the
concealed part of a person or object. Under such circumstances, the object
cannot make a person Tamei by Maga, but it can make him Tamei by Masa. For
example, if a piece of a Sheretz was found in the folds of a person's skin,
he is Tahor because a Sheretz is only Metamei through Maga. If, however,
he had a Neveilah in the folds of his folds of skin, he is Tamei, because a
Neveilah is also Metamei through Masa.
8) [line 41] D'ASBERIS NIHALEI - since I explained it to him
9) [line 41] V'CHARKISH LI B'REISHEI BEI MIDRASHA - and he nodded his head
to me in agreement in front of the entire Beis ha'Midrash.
10) [last line] NIVLAS OF TAHOR
The only food that is Metamei mid'Oraisa only while being eaten (and *not*
by touching) is Nivlas Of Tahor (a kosher bird that died or was killed
without Shechitah). It is only Metamei while in the Beis ha'Beli'ah
(esophagus) during the process of being swallowed. It is then Metamei the
person eating it and any clothes or vessels that he is touching. (Once it
is swallowed, the person remains Tamei but is only Metamei food and drinks,
i.e. he is a Rishon l'Tumah).
11) [line 2] LI'TMEI - it will be Metamei
12) [line 5] SHEMA'ATIN IFRIK - [the question on] the teaching (of Rebbi
Zeira) has been resolved
13) [line 7] LEIDAH YEVESHTA - a bloodless birth
14) [line 9] PROZDOR - cervical canal
15) [line 15] EIMA LI EIZI - tell me now/ tell me then
15) [line 15] GUFA D'UVDA HEICHI HAVAH - what was the incident?
16a) [line 16] SHAM'IS VELAD - I heard the child
b) [line 17] D'TZAVEITZ - cry
c) [line 17] A'PANYA D'MA'ALEI SHABATA - towards evening on Erev Shabbos
17) [line 21] OSO MAKOM - Bayis ha'Chitzon. Mentioned above
18) [line 22] BALU'A/ BEIS HA'SETARIM - see above #7
19) [line 23] KEZAYIS NEVEILAH (TUM'ASO)
A Neveilah which is the size of a k'Zayis makes an object Tamei through
Maga (contact) and Masa (carrying). At the time that a person is carrying a
Neveilah, any clothing or vessels (besides earthenware) that he is touching
become Tamei as if the Neveilah itself had touched the clothing or vessel.
If a person became Tamei through a Neveilah he can immediately go to the
Mikvah. He becomes Tahor at sundown and may eat Terumah or Kodshim.
20) [line 52] B'KUMTO - in his folds of skin; in his armpit or elbow