REVIEW QUESTIONS ON GEMARA AND RASHI
prepared by Rabbi Eliezer Chrysler
Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Jerusalem
Previous daf MENACHOS 53
(a) What does the Torah explicitly write in connection with the Minchas Ma'afeh-Tanur and the Minchah al ha'Machavas?
(b) What do we then learn from the Pasuk in Tzav ...
1. ..."Zos Toras ha'Minchah ... Matzos Te'achel"?
2. ... "Lo Se'afeh Chametz"?
(c) Rebbi Meir and Rebbi Yehudah argue in a Mishnah in Pesachim over the definition of Chametz and 'Si'ur'. If 'Si'ur', according to ...
1. ... Rebbi Meir, is 'Hichsifu Panav' (where the surface of the dough has turned pale), what is 'Chametz'?
2. ... Rebbi Yehudah, is where 'grasshoppers antenna' appear in the dough, what is 'Chametz'?
(d) On what grounds does Rav Chisda query the Limud from "Lo Se'afeh Chametz". What does he suggest that we need it for (rather than 'Le'akev')?
(a) Why can Rav Chisda not be referring to the Si'ur of ...
1. ... Rebbi Meir according to Rebbi Yehudah?
2. ... Rebbi Yehudah according to Rebbi Meir?
3. ... Rebbi Meir according to Rebbi Meir?
(b) Then to which Si'ur is he referring?
(c) Rav Nachman bar Yitzchak also queries the Limud from "Lo Se'afeh Chametz". He suggests that we need it to teach us - "Lo Se'afeh Chametz" 'Ela Chalut'. What is 'Chalut'?
(d) How do we initially answer this Kashya?
(a) What does Rav Nachman bar Yitzchak nevertheless suggest we learn from "Lo Se'afeh Chametz", even with regard to those Menachos where the Torah does not write "Revuchah"?
(b) What does Ravina finally suggest we learn from "Lo'Se'afeh Chametz"?
(c) And what do we ultimately learn from the Pasuk in Vayikra (in connection with the Minchah al ha'Machavas) "Matzah Sih'yeh"?
(a) What did Rebbi P'reida suggest to Rebbi Ami that we learn with regard to the Menachos, from the Pasuk in Bo (in connection with the Matzos) "u'Shemartem es ha'Matzos"?
(b) What did Rebbi Ami mean, when he retorted 'be'Gufah K'siv, "Matzah Sih'yeh"?
(c) How did he reconcile this with the D'rashah that we just made from the same words?
(a) The Rabbanan informed Rebbi P'reida that Rebbi Ezra, the grandson of Rebbi Avtulas was waiting outside. What Yichus did they ascribe to Rebbi Avtulas?
(b) What was Rebbi P'reida's response?
(c) When the Rabbanan assured him that Rebbi Ezra was indeed a Talmid-Chacham too, and he was invited in, how did Rebbi P'reida appease him when he saw how upset he was about the questions he had asked concerning him?
(d) Based on the Pasuk in Tehilim "Amrah la'Hashem Adoni Atah, Tovasi bal Alecha", what did ...
1. ... K'lal Yisrael ask of Hash-m?
2. ... Hash-m reply?
3. ... Hash-m mean when he added "li'Kedoshim Asher ba'Aretz Heimah, va'Adirei Kol Cheftzi Bam"?
(a) Which word gave Rebbi Ezra his cue to begin Darshening?
(b) What did he then Darshen, based on the Pesukim ...
1. ... "*Adir* ba'Marom Hash-m" (Tehilim), "*va'Adirei* Kol Chefti Bam", "Tzalalu ka'Oferes be'Mayim Adirim" (Beshalach) and "mi'Kolos Mayim Rabim Adirim" (Tehilim)?
2. ... "Vayishlach be'Yad Nasan ha'Navi Va'yikra Sh'mo Yedidyah" (Shmuel), "Mah li'Yedidi be'Veisi" (Yirmiyah), "Mah Yedidus Mishkenosecha" (Tehilim), "Ashirah Na li'Yedidi" (Yeshayah), "le'Binyamin Amar, Yedid Hash-m" (ve'Zos ha'B'rachah) and "Nasati es Yedidus Nafshi be'Chaf Oyvehah" (Yirmiyah)?
Answers to questions53b---------------------53b
(a) What did Rebbi Ezra also Darshen, based on the Pesukim ...
1. ... "Va'teireh Oso ki Tov Hu" (Sh'mos), "Ki Lekach Tov Nasati Lachem" (Mishlei), "*Tov* Hash-m la'Kol" (Tehilim) and "Heitivah Hash-m la'Tovim" (ibid.).
2. ... "ki Zeh Moshe ha'Ish" (Ki Sisa), "*ve'Zos* ha'Torah" (Devarim), "*Zeh* Keili Ve'anveihu" (Beshalach) and "Am Zu Kamisa" (ibid.)?
(b) What did Avraham reply, when, after the Churban Beis Hamikdash, Hash-m found him in the Beis-Hamikdash and asked him "Mah li'Yedidi be'Veisi"?
(c) And how did he respond, when Hash-m told him ...
1. ... that his children had sinned and been exiled?
2. ... that they sinned on purpose?
3. ... that most of them were guilty?
4. ... that they had nullified the B'ris Milah?
(a) And what was Avraham's reaction, when Hash-m explained to him that the more his children sinned, the happier they became?
(b) In reply to Avraham's query, Hash-m said "Zayis Ra'anan Yafeh P'ri To'ar, Kara Hash-m Shimcha". What is the connection between Yisrael and the fruit of an olive-tree?
(a) Rebbi Chanina bar Papa interpreted the Pasuk in Yirmiyah "le'Kol Hamulah Gedolah Hitzis Eish Alehah, ve'Ra'u Dalyosav" with reference to the Churban Beis-Hamikdash. How does he explain ...
1. ... "ve'Ra'u Dalyosav"
2. ... "le'Kol Hamulah Gedolah Hitzis Eish Alehah"?
(b) This in turn, is based on his own interpretation of the Pasuk in Sh'lach-Lecha "Ki Chazak Hu Mimenu". What did the Meraglim mean when they said that?
(c) What objection did Rav Acha bar Chin'na raise to this explanation, based on Rebbi Chanina bar Pana's interpretation of the word "Hamulah"? What ought the Pasuk to have said instead?
(a) So how did Rav Acha bar Chin'na interpret it? What did Hash-m say to Avraham?
(b) Hash-m told Avraham that his Tefilos in the Beis Hamikdash had achieved that each of the four Galuyos would operate independently, and not strike them with the ferocity of all four combined, as He had originally intented. What might Hash-m have told Avraham, alternatively?
(c) How does Rebbi Yehoshua ben Levi explain the analogy of Yisrael to an olive-tree by way of the leaves?
(d) And how does Rebbi Yochanan explain it by way of the oil?
(a) Rav Chisda explains 'Chaseirah' and 'Yeseirah' in our Mishnah, when the yeast is thick or thin (as we explained there). What problem do we have with that?
(b) How do Rabah and Rav Yosef answer this Kashya?
(c) How would it be possible to obtain the necessary yeast according to both Rebbi Meir and Rebbi Yehudah, without any problem?
(d) Then why do they not do that?
Answers to questions