POINT BY POINT SUMMARY
by Kollel Iyun Hadaf, Yerushalayim
Rosh Kollel: Rabbi Mordecai Kornfeld
Ask A Question on the daf
Previous daf Megilah 32
1) LAWS OF THE TORAH READING (cont.)
(a) Beraisa (R. Meir): One who will read the Torah opens it,
finds the place where he will read, closes it, blesses,
opens it and reads;
2) TEACHINGS OF R. SHEFATYAH
(b) (R. Yehudah): He does not close it in the middle.
(c) R. Meir holds as Ula, who says that one who reads the Torah
may not aid the translator, lest people say that the
translation is written in the Torah. Here too, we are
concerned lest people say that the blessings are written in
(d) R. Yehudah distinguishes between the two cases: people may
think that the translation is written in the Torah, but
will not say that the blessings are written in it.
(e) R. Zeira: The law is, one does not close it in the middle.
1. Question: Let him say. the law is as R. Yehudah!
(f) (R. Zeira): Margins of Seforim, and podiums do not have
2. Answer: He had to say the law explicitly, since some
learn that the opinions of R. Meir and R. Yehudah are
(a) (R. Shefatyah): One who rolls the Sefer must leave the seam
in the middle.
3) READING ABOUT THE HOLIDAYS DURING THE HOLIDAYS
(b) (R. Shefatyah): One who rolls the Sefer Torah rolls it from
the outside, and tightens it from the inside.
(c) (R. Shefatyah): The greatest person should be the one to
roll the Sefer Torah.
1. This is as R. Yehoshua Ben Levi: When 10 read the Torah,
the one who reads gets the reward of all of them.
(d) (R. Shefatyah): "Your ears will hear from in back of you" -
this teaches that we may rely on a voice from Heaven.
2. Question: This cannot be!
3. Answer: Rather, he gets as much reward as all of them.
1. This only applies when a man's voice is heard in the
city, or a woman's voice in the wilderness (since
these are uncommon, they probably were from Heaven).
(e) (R. Shefatyah): "I gave them bad laws" - this is one who
reads Torah or learns Mishnah without a melody.
2. Also, the voice must say "yes" twice or "no" twice.
1. Question (Abaye): Does that justify the end of the verse
- "They will not live in those laws"!?
(f) (R. Parnach): Anyone who holds an uncovered Sefer Torah
will be buried unclothed.
2. Answer: Rather, the verse deals with 2 Chachamim who
live in the same city and do not learn together, as
Rav Mesharshiya taught.
1. Question: This cannot be!
(g) (R. Yanai): One should wrap the cover around the Sefer
Torah, and not the Sefer Torah in the cover.
2. Answer: Rather, he will be buried bare, without
3. Question: This cannot be!
4. Answer (Abaye): He is buried without credit for that
(a) (Mishnah): "And Moshe spoke the holidays of Hashem to Bnei
Yisrael" - that they should read about each holiday in its
On to Moed Katan
(b) (Beraisa): Moshe enacted that we should ask and expound the
laws of each festival on that festival.