|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 35] CHAZAR HA'DIN, LO RE'I ZEH K'RE'I ZEH (TZAD HA'SHAVEH)
2) [line 37] KOVESH SECHAR SACHIR - one who withholds the wage of a hired worker. The Torah teaches that it is prohibited to delay paying a hired worker (Vayikra 19:13, Devarim 24:14)..
3) [line 38] "LO SA'ASHOK SACHIR ANI V'EVYON" - "You shall not cheat a poor or destitute hired worker...." (Devarim 24:14)
4) [last line] DAVAR HA'LAMED ME'INYANO - it is a matter that is learned from its context
5) [line 3] AL MENAS L'MEIKAT - with intention to harass
6) [line 5] MISHKALOS
7) [line 6] TOMEN MISHKELOSAV B'MELACH - one who stores his weights in salt. According to Rashi, this is referring to the buyer's weights (as it was occasionally the buyer who brought his own weights with which to weigh the merchandise); the salt caused the weights to become heavier than they were labeled. According to other Rishonim (Ritva), this is referring to the seller's weights; the salt corroded the weights, causing them to become lighter than they were labeled.
8) [line 7] SHE'AS ASIYAH - the moment that he did it (even before he uses the weight to cheat someone)
9) [line 7] "LO SA'ASU AVEL BA'MISHPAT, BA'MIDAH, BA'MISHKAL, UVA'MESURAH" - "You shall not make a corruption of justice, in measures of length, in weight, and in volume." (Vayikra 19:35)
10) [line 12] YARTI'ACH - (O.F. escume) cause it to foam up (when pouring it into the buyer's vessel)
11) [line 13] MESURAH - a measure of volume, equal to 1/36th of a Log
12) [line 14] HIN / LOG (MEASURES OF CAPACITY : LIQUIDS)
b) [line 24] TECHELES - greenish blue wool used for Tzitzis, the dye of which is obtained from the Chilazon, the underwater snail murex trunculus. Techeles is very expensive and it is therefore often forged by using Kala Ilan in place of Techeles.
14) [line 24] RAVINA IKLA L'SURA D'FERAS - Ravina traveled to Sura on the Euphrates (Soura-Soura, the modern day Surie -- as opposed to Sura, a town in Southern Babylonia between the canals, seat of the Yeshiva founded by Rav)
15) [line 27] SHERATZIM: ISUR ACHILAH
16) [line 30] KIRVEI DAGIM TEME'IN - the innards of impure (prohibited) fish
18) [line 36] EIN METAM'IN BI'SHERATZIM - they do not defile themselves [by eating] Sheratzim (see above, entry #15)
19) [line 37] U'MI NAFISH AGRAIHU TEFEI... - and is the reward (for refraining from eating Sheratzim) greater than that for observing the laws of Ribis, Tzitzis, and Mishkalos?
20) [line 41] AD KAN "YACHIN RASHA V'YILBASH TZADIK" - until here the verse "the wicked one prepares, and the righteous one will wear it" (Iyov 27:17) applies. The Gemara at this point assumes this to mean that the verse applies only to the first set of cases in the Mishnah -- those of Ribis d'Oraisa, and not to the second set of cases which refer to Ribis d'Rabanan. (The actual verse does not include the word "Rasha," although it is clearly referring to the Rasha, as is clear from Iyov 27:13.)
21) [line 42] RIBIS KETZUTZAH / AVAK RIBIS
22) [line 45] "B'NESHECH NASAN V'SARBIS LAKACH, VA'CHAI? LO YICHYEH! ES KOL HA'TO'EVOS HA'ELEH ASAH, [MOS YUMAS, DAMAV BO YIHEYEH]" - "He gave [loans] with interest and he took increase, will he live? He will not live! He has done all of these abominations, [he will surely die, his blood will be upon him.]" (Yechezkel 18:13)
23) [line 47] "AL TIKACH ME'ITO NESHECH V'SARBIS V'YAREISA ME'ELOKECHA [V'CHEI ACHICHA IMACH]" - "Do not take from him interest or increase, but fear your G-d [so that your brother may live with you.]" (Vayikra 25:36)