|(Permission is granted to print and redistribute this material
as long as this header and the footer at the end are included.)
1) [line 16] CHAMARTA ME'ABARTA B'ALMA, HU D'AZIK - he damaged an ordinary pregnant female donkey
2a) [line 18] "...SHEVU LACHEM POH IM HA'CHAMOR..." - "[And Avraham said to his young men,] 'Stay here with the donkey; [and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come back to you.']" (Bereishis 22:5)
b) [line 18] AM HA'DOMEH L'CHAMOR
3) [line 19] SHEVACH VELADOS - the increase in value on the slave market of a pregnant woman over one who is not pregnant
4a) [line 26] V'CHI ISHAH L'MI SHE'YOLEDES MASHBACHAS... - Does the Shevach
Velados of a woman belong only to her husband (lit. only to the one to whom
she bears a child)...
5) [line 31] MEVAKERES - a woman who is giving birth for the first time
7) [line 35] YAKENAH - he hits her
9) [line 40] MAREI DICHI - (lit. the lord of this [teaching]) The author of this teaching!
10) [line 41] TZERAREI - bundles [of valuables;] moneybags
11) [line 1] TANI ZACHSAH - this should be read "Zachsah" instead of "Zachah," since the woman receives the payment of Demei Velados, as opposed to the Mazik meriting to keep his money, as the word "Zachah" implies (TOSFOS DH v'Tani claims that the Gemara does not intend to change the Girsa of the Beraisa, but rather answers that the word "Zachah" of the Beraisa means that the person who is worthy receives the Demei Velados, who, according to Rabah, is the woman.)
12) [line 16] HA'MACHAZIK BI'SHETAROSAV SHEL GER - one who is holding on to
the legal documents (esp. documents of debt) of a convert (NICHSHEI GER
13) [line 20] ANEI MORI! - Answer [me,] my master...
15) [line 22] MASHKONO SHEL YISRAEL - the collateral of a Yisrael
17) [line 28] TIKNEI LEI CHATZEIRO? (KINYAN CHATZER)
(b) The forms of Kinyan that may be used for the acquisition of Metaltelin (mobile items) are:
1. Hagbahah, i.e. lifting the item;(c) The forms of Kinyan that may be used for the acquisition of land are:
1. Kesef, i.e. paying at least a Perutah's worth of money for the land;(d) With regard to the Kinyan of Chatzer (above, b:4), in order for a Kinyan to take place the Chatzer must be Mishtameres, i.e. protected as a result of the owner's authority. A Chatzer Mishtameres can be used to effect a Kinyan on the items in it whether or not the owner is in or alongside it. If the Chatzer is not Mishtameres, a Kinyan can only take place if the owner or his agent is guarding the Chatzer, in or alongside of it (Bava Metzi'a 11a).
18) [line 31] D'LEISEI - (a) [we are dealing with a case where] he (the creditor) is not [in the courtyard which is a Chatzer ha'Mishtameres] (RASHI) (and the Gemara here maintains that a person must be in or alongside even his Chatzer ha'Mishtameres in order to effect a Kinyan, *against* the conclusion of the Gemara Bava Metzi'a 11a - TOSFOS DH v'Hilchesa); (b) [we are dealing with a case where] he (the creditor) is not [in the courtyard which is *not* a Chatzer ha'Mishtameres] (TOSFOS ibid., citing the opinion of RI)
19) [line 35] V'HILCHESA, D'LEISEI B'CHATZEIRO, D'LO KANAH - (a) and the Halachah dictates that if it (the Mashkon) is not in his courtyard, he (the creditor) does not acquire it (the entire Mashkon; only up to the value of his debt) (RASHI); (b) and the Halachah dictates that if he (the creditor) is not in his courtyard (which is *not* a Chatzer ha'Mishtameres), he does not acquire it (the entire Mashkon; only up to the value of his debt), i.e. the answer of the Gemara quoted immediately prior to this line is the Halachah (TOSFOS ibid., citing the opinion of RI)
20a) [line 35] HA'CHOFER BOR BI'RESHUS HA'YACHID - one who digs a pit or
cistern in Reshus ha'Yachid, his own private domain
21) [line 40] HIFKIR RESHUSO V'LO HIFKIR BORO - he declared his land ownerless but retained ownership of the Bor
22) [line 43] "[V']CHI YIFTACH" V'"CHI YICHREH" - And if [a man] shall open [a pit, or] if [a man] shall dig [a pit, and not cover it, and an bull or a donkey falls in it.]" (Shemos 21:33) (Shemos 21:33)
23a) [line 44] PESICHAH - opening, i.e. uncovering the Bor
24) [line 45] AL ISKEI PESICHAH V'AL ISKEI KERIYAH BA'AH LO - [the liability for damages caused by the Bor] comes to him because of the matter of opening or the matter of digging the Bor (without it belonging to him, i.e. it is in Reshus ha'Rabim)