1) [line 31] ZALAS, KEVOTZ, KENEI MINAH - if merchandise has become cheap, gather and purchase a lot of it
2) [line 38] MACHATA D'TALMEYUSA - (O.F. brosder ganbais) embroidery of a doublet (a kind of close-fitting jacket), in which the stitches are in lines like furrows in a field. See Insights.
*3*) [line 38] AL YARBEH ADAM REI'IM B'SOCH BEISO - The Gemara just mentioned that a person should teach his son a "clean trade", i.e. one that does not involve contact with women. This is why it now mentions the problems with women that arise if a person invites too many friends to his house (they may attempt to take his wife), and why the Gemara makes reference to Yosef and a Sotah.
4) [line 39] APOTROPUS - an administrator of one's possessions
5) [line 40] NAZIR
(a) If a person makes a vow to become a Nazir without stipulating a time period, his Nezirus lasts for a period of thirty days. During this period, the Nazir is not allowed to cut his hair, become Tamei by touching or being in the same room as a corpse, or consume any products of the grapevine.6) [line 40] SOTAH
(a) A Sotah is a woman who is suspected of committing adultery, because she was warned by her husband not to be alone with a certain man, and she violated the warning. The husband must bring his wife to the Beis ha'Mikdash, along with a sacrifice consisting of 1/10 of an Eifah (approx. 2 quarts) of barley meal.7) [line 41] B'KILKULAH - in her ruin/degradation
8) [line 44] SOF SHE'NITZRACH LAHEN - in the end he will need the tithes (i.e. Ma'aser Ani) for himself
9a) [line 46] KOL HA'MESHATEF SHEM SHAMAYIM B'TZA'ARO - this is mentioned
here because of the Mishnah's teaching, "k'Shem she'Mevarech Al ha'Tovah
10) [line 50] REBBI AVAHU HAVAH MISHTA'I - This story is discussed here because its conclusion is related to the concept of Heferu Sorasecha raised by the Mishnah (This may also be why the statement of ha'Marpeh mi'Divrei Sorah is brought in here)
*11*) [line 53] HISCHIL HU METAME V'HEM METAHARIM - According to the Maharsha, this means that the visiting elders contradicted Chanina even though they knew that they were wrong, just to show that they were not subject to his decisions
12) [last line] SHEGARUNU - sent us
13) [line 3] V'YICHPERU CHULAM - and they will all deny HaSh-m
16) [line 25] NASBIR PANIM B'HALACHAH - In order to explain the Halachos of the Torah to Benei Yisrael, HaSh-m and Moshe were needed. HaSh-m, who is total spirituality, would explain to Moshe the spiritual, hidden side of each Halachah. Moshe, in turn, would relate to Benei Yisrael all the practical aspects of each Halachah (CHEFETZ HASH-M)
17) [line 36] SONEIHEM SHEL TALMIDEI CHACHAMIM - euphemism for the Talmidei Chachamim (lit. those who hate Talmidei Chachamim)
18) [line 38] KATETU ATZMECHEM - crush yourselves
20) [line 41] "KI MITZ CHALAV YOTZI CHEM'AH, U'MITZ AF YOTZI DAM, U'MITZ APAYIM YOTZI RIV" - "Because the pressing of cream produces butter, and the pressing of the nose produces blood, and the pressing of anger produces a quarrel" (Mishlei 30:33)
*21*) [line 42] B'MI SHE'MEKI CHALAV SHE'YANAK MI'SHDEI IMO ALEHA - in someone who learns Torah diligently, and thereby expels the indulgences to which he became accustomed when he was young (MAHARSHA)
22) [line 47] "IM NAVALTA, V'HISNASEI; V'IM ZAMOSA, YAD L'FEH" - "If you disgraced yourself, you shall be elevated; if you muzzled yourself, you shall put your hand to your mouth" (Mishlei 30:32) If you disgrace yourself for the sake of learning Torah, you will become great (a Torah scholar). If you keep quiet, you will never know the Torah. Putting your hand to your mouth means that you will not be able to answer questions.
23) [line 50] LI'CHVOD ATZMO - for his own honor, so that Moshe should take his daughter Tziporah as a wife
24) [line 56] KIBED - he swept